Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Partner's Perspective



My name is Camille. I have 3 kids ( 4.5  -  3  -  1  years old  )  and am a 2010 MBA Partner.


The first thing, and I think the most critical, is that WE decided to do an MBA ! I am really proud of my husband and I know that, to be happy, he needs me and the children to be happy as well.

WE HAVE A GREAT PARTNERS GROUP

At home, it is not really a "great, fun" life ... house cleaning, cooking, making sure he has everything ... I think that all partners spend a lot of time alone at home, especially in the evening ! BUT we have a really great partner group !!! We organize a lot of things : Friday lunch, movies at IMD, night outs, baby-sittings, trips to Vevey, Geneve, Evian, Gym Class, Yoga class, playdate with children, language classes ...and people are really helpful !

But all those things fill one day per week, maybe two but clearly not enough for a full week ... We are not on vacation and, anyway, vacation without our partner is not really fun !!! So I try to be busy every days ... park, friends, sport ...

IMD IS LIKE A FAMILY

Our partners work a lot ... they can be free a few hours per week-end but it is not all the time ... I think it depends on your husband and on his working team ! Everytime I go to IMD on Sunday (at 9am...4pm...10pm ...), people are working ... and it is actually the same every day! But IMD is like a family and everyone takes care of every one ! Partners, students, teachers ...

I try to organize dinner, restaurants on Saturday evenings ... to be there when he is at home ... to be free when he has time, when he needs to talk ...It is really difficult but he enjoys everything at IMD and I know that, in a few months, our "family life " will be back !!!

SET GOALS FOR YOURSELF

Another really important part is you need a goal for your year : learn French, English ... run 20km of Lausanne, find a job ... you need to have one to grow in parallel of your partner: with 3 kids, I am enrolled in a photography class and am looking to start a child psychology program (I am a primary school teacher)!

I am still alive and not planning to get divorced !!! So it is not TOO bad of a year ;)

Overall, it is a tough year, but a very rich year: you make so many new friends from all over the world and get to grow a lot yourself!


2 comments:

  1. I really loved your post Camille. You expressed it very well... Lack of time with our partner, being really supportive... At the same time great new friends, everyone helpful... And also personal (but possible) goals according to the reality. Great text!!!

    ReplyDelete